careers for the automotive and transportation industries

Auto Mechanic Training in Toronto

Canadian Automotive & Trucking Institute (CATI) Dispatching

Auto mechanics are trained professionals who use their knowledge of vehicle hardware and software to service, inspect, diagnose and repair cars, trucks, busses and motorcycles.

ATC’s Toronto Auto Mechanic Training Program

Those wishing to become automotive service technicians in Toronto can find a comprehensive curriculum and expert instruction at the Automotive Training Centre (ATC). Approved as a vocational program under the Private Career Colleges Act of 2005, ATC provides a general overview of the automotive industry, provides students with the latest training, and practices the highest level of shop safety.

Students enrolled at ATC Toronto can expect to develop a solid grounding in:

  • Preventative maintenance
  • The fundamentals of welding, auto electronics and electrical systems diagnosis
  • The operation and service of suspension, steering, hydraulic brake and fuel injection systems
  • Servicing the gasoline engine, wheels, tires, drive lines, drive axels, hubs, and bearings, as well as lubrication cooling, emission and computer control systems
  • The theory behind wheel alignment

ATC emphasizes the value of practical instruction, and students can expect to learn 60% of the course material in a hands-on auto shop environment with cutting-edge equipment. The remaining 40% is theoretical and taught in a classroom by experienced, expert instructors. The Toronto campus is located in the heart of Etobicoke near the East Mall and the Gardiner Expressway.

Learn more about the ATC Auto Mechanic Training Program by filling out the Contact Form.

Auto Mechanic Job Description and Projected Demand in Toronto

Students who receive their automotive mechanic training in Toronto are well prepared to carry out the duties which most auto mechanics perform on a daily basis. Routine tasks include:

  • Repairing or replacing breaks, air conditioning and heating, the fuel system, the engine, drive train and exhaust in cars, and major parts including the frame, brakes, chassis, body and steering in trucks
  • Performing oil changes, tune-ups and lubrications
  • Testing systems and components with computers
  • Doing road tests

Also known as automotive service technicians, auto mechanics work in a variety of professional environments. In Toronto, these include:

  • Garages
  • Dealerships (car, truck, tractor & others)
  • Service stations
  • Transport companies or organizations (ie. bus lines)
  • Other companies or organizations that maintain fleets of vehicles (ie. school boards)
  • Car and truck makers
  • On a freelance basis

Employment opportunities in this field across Canada are expected to remain stable over the next decade. Industry trends indicate that there will be more openings available than there are qualified, well-trained applicants to fill them. The average salary for an auto mechanic in Toronto is $18 per hour.

Now is the time to head full-throttle into this rewarding and challenging field. Enroll today!